Thursday 5 July 2012

Time for 8-Bit of Fun...

Oooo sorry for that title.

Hello friends. Yesterday I completed my first full shift at work, and I have to say, time went by surprisingly quickly, and I really enjoyed every part of it. I know the initial novelty of a new job will eventually wear off, but I'm really happy with the people I'm working with, and there have been a lot of smiles and laughs so far in just the few days I've been there, so I am happy!

Last night, my brother (who lives at home with me) and I went for sushi for dinner. Parents out of town + house full of groceries + money left for food = sushi night. I haven't had sushi in a WHILE. Many noms were had. Yum.

Today I want to talk about what you guys do for fun. I've been talking a lot about work, and getting work, and how to cope when you can't find work, and how important work is, etc. But with all of that we must always leave time for fun! For the past year or so, I've been re-introducing myself to the wonderful world of video games. I don't mean World of Warcraft. I mean awesome reliving-your-days-of-glory-as-a-90s-kid/young person-so-I'm-going-to-go-play-Ocarina-of-Time-or-007-Goldeneye-for-Nintendo-64 video games. NOSTALGIA! It just makes me so happy to play those old games. When was the last time you guys picked up a Nintendo 64 controller? Or Super Nintendo? Or original NES? I challenge you to that for an afternoon, and let me know how you feel. And just on a side note, if you have a Wii, and you haven't played Super Mario Galaxy (1 or 2 or both), you should go do that. Now. The physics and concepts in those games are astonishing. Nerd moment over.

If you're ever at a loss as to what to do on a beautiful day, and you're on a tight budget, I really have to recommend hiking. This is a great activity that I've really recently found a love for. It wasn't until pretty recently that I realized just how many scenic hiking trails there are in and around Toronto. A few weeks ago, I went hiking with a friend of mine, and not only was it great exercise, and not only was it a great way to get outside and get some fresh air and enjoy nature, but it was a great way for us to chat and catch up! If you're like me, and you like forms of exercise where you can distract yourself with other things so it doesn't really feel like you're "exercising"even though you really are (sort of like if you go to the gym and you go on the treadmill or exercise bike and watch TV while you do your workout), hiking is great for that, especially if you have a friend to go with. I think it's impossible to do without just beaming afterwards. And as a particularly lovely customer said to me yesterday, "there aren't enough smiles in the world".

On a more musical note (no pun intended), I haven't been practicing as much as I would have liked recently, but I think it's due to the awkward inconsistent lifestyle I've had for the past couple months since I've come home. I know that once I have a more consistent daily schedule now that I'm working, practicing will be much easier to schedule into my day and I'll be more motivated to do so as well. This blog has been very helpful for me, actually, because it gives me something to be accountable for. I'm thinking that keeping this up will transfer over into keeping other good habits in my life as well like practicing, and staying healthy. I have some pretty exciting rep that I'm working on at the moment, so hopefully a recital will be in the works for the relatively near future! I will definitely make that known once things are more certain.

I think that will do for today. If you feel like you're stretching yourself thin, or that you haven't had a good laugh in far too long, go do something you haven't done in a while. Play a nostalgic video game. Go for a hike with a friend. Go berry picking (it's the perfect time for strawberries in Ontario!). Take some time for yourself and have a bubble bath; read your favorite book; make some sangria and lay in the sun. These are the little things that make life so pleasant, yet so many of us move so fast that we forget to do them. They don't cost very much either - in fact most of them don't cost a penny. Try them this weekend, and savour those moments. Your body, mind, and soul will thank you for it!






Photo: zazzle.com

1 comment:

  1. Ya know what? I think I just might go for a good ol' hike. .....and practice more. *cough* Love you button.

    ReplyDelete